It’s one of the things that most people are overcharged with and most of the time it is due to their failure to pay attention to detail. Of course, having a good driving record helps, but it actually goes way beyond that.
The problem with most people is that they simply don’t think about their car insurance. Instead, they just acquire their insurance from a local broker or from the agency which they get buy their other insurance policies from. If you’re one of these people, then most likely you’re dealing with an overpaid car insurance.
What most are not aware of is that their insurance agent makes money from the policies they sell. This only means that they are able to rake in a huge amount of money by offering a high insurance premium. The good thing is, some clever people were able to find out how they can significantly reduce their insurance bill through the help of online tools in order to acquire unbiased quotes.
So how can you lower your car insurance expenses and avoid being overcharged? Here are a few tips to follow:
1. Keep it mind that it’s always possible to switch insurance companies – most people think that they are stuck with their insurance policy until renewal time. However, it’s actually the other way around. It’s possible to cancel your car insurance policy whenever you want and get a prorated refund for that.
2. Credit score matters – the higher your credit score is, the lower your premium could be. Ideally, you want to keep your credit score around 650 and up.
3. Do comparison shopping – since you can get out of your current policy any time you want, this makes room for shopping around for the best rates. By doing comparison shopping, you can save hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars easily.
4. Inquire about the availability of discounts – there are several companies which provide discounts to “low risk” professions such as teachers, scientists, and more. Inquire a company if your occupation is qualified for such discount. There are also some companies that offer discounts for hybrid and electric cars.
5. Limit your driving to less than 35 miles a day – most car insurance companies won’t ask you how much you drive. Make sure you mention it to them and ask if there are any discounts if you don’t drive very far.
Comparing other options nowadays is made a lot easier thanks to various online services readily available. They allow you to get multiple competitive quotes quickly and easily, and can even help you find the lowest quote available in your area. Among these services is Insurance.Comparisons.org which features a quick and easy to use interface.
Simply enter your zip code and complete a simple online form. In less than 5 minutes, you can get information regarding various auto insurance companies along with their very best rates and more.
Based on data by ComScore’s 2012 U.S Online Auto Insurance Shopping Report, it is estimated that around 70% of shoppers acquired a quote online. It also added that the online medium is the most preferred method for those who are looking for car insurance policies.
Simply visit one of these top websites, enter your zip code together with some basic information, and you can then access information regarding various quotes available and make a comparison.
Keep in mind that you can save a lot of money by simply doing a little homework regarding car insurance. Don’t believe those ads saying there are “tricks” when it comes to car insurance. There are absolutely no tricks except for the ones mentioned above. Good luck and happy savings!