8. Angelina Jolie
It’s been a while since we last saw the actress on the big screen. What keeps her busy behind the scenes? Angelina has been more involved in humanitarian work, she always is. It’s not just the monetary donation but the time and effort she gives to charity. This dedicated philanthropist has done a lot of good deeds and the list is still getting longer.
- Since 2001, she’s been joining refugee missions around the world.
- She and her husband Brad Pitt established the Jolie-Pitt foundation. The center is for children with HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis in Ethiopia.
- The couple donated to over $24 million to around 60 charities and had adopted three children from orphanages around the world.
- In 2005, Angelina launched the National Center for Refugee and Immigrant Children. It offers free legal aid young asylum-seekers who fled from home.
- Angelina made herself the voice of the refugees and survivors of sexual abuse, speaking out on their behalf. She had made passionate speeches about them
“The point of all this is when children cross into this country alone and they’re scared, we must hear them out before we make the choice to either allow them asylum in our country or send them away. It is unethical to not listen to these children. Because without legal representation we are sending children to court to represent themselves in a language that most of them don’t understand. And expecting them to recall accounts so frightening and humiliating, they wouldn’t want to tell anyone, let alone a room full of strangers.”